From the Post Gazette today:
Port Authority approves 15% transit cut
By Jon Schmitz, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
See the Port Authority’s service changes that take effect March 27.
The Port Authority board of directors today approved a 15 percent transit service reduction effective March 27.
Board member Jeffrey Letwin said the decision caused him “intense anguish” but said the board’s job was to “save what we can.”
Today’s vote amended a scheduled 35 percent cut that had been scheduled for March before Gov. Ed Rendell provided $45 million in emergency funding.
Under the revised plan, 29 routes will be eliminated instead of 47. Weekday service cuts will be imposed on 37 routes instead of 79. Service to about half of the authority’s riders will be unchanged.
Today’s action will eliminate 270 authority positions, including 180 layoffs and closure of the Harmar garage.
Patrick McMahon, president of Local 85 of the Amalgamated Transit Union, called the action “an unnecessary mistake.”
He said the board should have maintained current service levels to force the legislature to solve statewide transportation funding problems sooner rather than later.
Board members, however, said doing so posed the risk of catastrophic cuts as soon as July if the legislature didn’t act.
More details in tomorrow’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on January 12, 2011 at 11:01 am